FROM: CORE COMMAND (OPERATIONAL MANAGEMENT)
TO: ALL SHIPS
***** FLEET CONFIDENTAL E2048
ALL FLIGHT COMMANDERS:
- THIS MESSAGE CONSTITUTES A ROUTINE UPDATE OF STANDING ORDER 147 (TEMPORAL IDENTIFICATION PROTOCOL).
- AS PER STANDING ORDER 147(A) TRANSPONDER/IFF SUFFIX PIP 1471 IS TO BE USED BY ANY IMPERIAL NAVY STARSHIP OPERATING NONSEQUENTIALLY IN EMPIRE TIME, EXCEPT AS PROVIDED FOR IN STANDING ORDER 147(C) BELOW.
- AS PER STANDING ORDER 147(B) TRANSPONDER/IFF CODES IN SERIES 87413-NNNNNN ARE ALLOCATED TO IMPERIAL NAVY STARSHIPS WHICH HAVE NOT ENTERED SERVICE AT THE TIME OF ENGAGEMENT/ENCOUNTER, AND ARE TO BE CONSIDERED VALID FOR TWO YEARS FROM RECEIPT OF THIS MESSAGE. SUCH IFF CODES ARE TO BE VALIDATED BY PROTOCOL OROELLE BLUESHIFT FRATERNAL AT EARLIEST POSSIBLE CONVENIENCE.
- AS PER STANDING ORDER 147(C) TRANSPONDER/IFF SUFFIX PIP 1472 PLUS INSTANCE SEQUENCE NUMBER IS TO BE USED BY ANY IMPERIAL NAVY STARSHIP OR STARSHIPS OPERATING IN CONJUNCTION WITH ITSELF. INSTANCE SEQUENCE NUMBERS ARE TO INCREASE MONOTONICALLY WITH EMPIRE TIME.
- AS PER STANDING ORDER 147(D) TRANSPONDER/IFF SUFFIX PIP 1473 IS TO BE USED BY ANY IMPERIAL NAVY STARSHIP EXISTING SOLELY AS A RESULT OF A CAUSAL LOOP.
- AS PER STANDING ORDER 147(E) TRANSPONDER/IFF SUFFIX PIP 1474 IS TO BE USED BY ANY IMPERIAL NAVY STARSHIP WHOSE TEMPORAL ALIGNMENT VIS-A-VIS EMPIRE TIME IS UNKNOWN.
- AS PER STANDING ORDER 147(F) TRANSPONDER/IFF SUFFIX PIP 1475 IS TO BE USED BY ANY IMPERIAL NAVY STARSHIP WITH REASON TO BELIEVE THAT IT WAS ACTUALIZED FROM A POTENTIAL ALTERNATE WORLDLINE.
- AS PER STANDING ORDER 147(G) TRANSPONDER/IFF SUFFIX PIP 1476 IS TO BE USED BY ANY IMPERIAL NAVY STARSHIP WITH REASON TO BELIEVE THAT IT IS SUFFERING AN ONTOLOGICAL PARADOX OR OTHER RELATED EFFECT NOT COVERED BY THE CATEGORIES ABOVE.
- NOTE THAT IDENTICAL TRANSPONDER/IFF SUFFICES ARE IN USE BY STARSHIPS ASSIGNED TO THE IMPERIAL EXPLORATORY SERVICE AND IMPERIAL SERVICE. FOR THE PURPOSES OF STANDING ORDER 147(B), SEQUENCES 87412-NNNNNN and 87411-NNNNNN RESPECTIVELY HAVE BEEN ASSIGNED.
- AUTHENTICATION: OGRE ANCESTOR SILVER PLUM STAFF NEEDLE / 0x77BB4129A6678A6A
ADM MACIAN CORINTHOS
DIVISION OF RELATIVISTICS & TEMPORAL NAVIGATION
How do “existing within a causal loop” (esp for an ageing object like a whole ship) and alternate universe worldlines square with the accepted block universe theory? Or are these catch-all regulations in anticipation of any possible developments to the theory?
On the former, you should bear in mind that pure causal loops, due to this problem among others, aren’t strictly speaking forbidden by physical law. They just have such severe constraints on them as to make them very very very very very very very improbable, which ought to amount to the same thing. (The same goes for impure causal loops, but knock off one very.)
Their protocol exists because within delta of impossible isn’t impossible, and as we all know from Pratchett, million-to-one chances happen nine times out of ten. Especially in a universe that has extant examples of probability-mangling technology.
On the latter, there’s a more detailed explanation of this over in the Timeo Eldraeos word-of-god thread (read the spoilered bit about how Worldline Demux works):
But here’s a short relevant excerpt:
They aren’t “real” alternate universes, but those shadows and echoes can, in theory, be manipulated. Including by cloning neverweres into the real, classical universe.
(No-one has turned this into practice, yet, but occasionally strange artifacts turn up whose best explanation is that they didn’t come from the “real” worldline.
Think of this process as something like pair production, where sufficient energy can stress the virtual particles apart and leave you with real particles. Except you’re doing it (a) with macroscopic objects, and (b) at right-angles to reality.)
(To clarify just how difficult this tech would be to develop, its predecessor on the tech tree is the one that lets you tickle a black hole just right to have it spontaneously emit a mint-condition '53 Chevy in cherry red.
Also an anti-Chevy to fall into the event horizon, but details.)
So, an antimatter factory?
Possibly an antifactory factory.
Continue the discussion at eldraeverse.discourse.group