So, having completed all ten planets of Lumenna in this series, we now move to its companion star’s nine, once again, beginning with the innermost:
Orbit (period): 0.08 au (6.198 T-days)
Orbit (ecc.): 0.06
Radius: 2,850 miles
Mass: 2.51 * 1024 kg
Density: 4.88 g/cm3
Surface gravity: 0.81 g
Axial tilt: 1.2°
Rotation period: 6.198 T-days (tide-locked)
Black-body temperature: 687 K
Surface temperature (avg., sunside): 824 K
Surface temperature (avg., nightside): 69 K
Hydrographic coverage: 0%
Satellites: 2 moonlets.
The innermost planet of Súnáris, tide-locked Andrár was a twin of Eurymir in all but name; a tide-locked rockball of brightest day and blackest night; if anything, even more sun-scraping than Eurymir.
Its colonization, however, followed a markedly different pattern. Rather than an experimental or resource world, Andrár came under serious consideration in the era in which laser sails and early fusion drives were competing as possible propulsion systems for the first interstellar starships. Andrár, thus, was developed as a power plant and interstellar laser system.
Much of the surface of Andrár, in the modern era, is oddly smoothed by years of autoindustrialism – on sunside, the planet is practically plated pole to pole with layers of solar panels and thermal generators, whose cold radiators likewise cover much of the nightside, broken only by the rectennas beaming power to the planetary ring statite (and other nearby habitats), and the huge laser arrays dangling upwell therefrom.
While not used for the colonization ships the designers had in mind (Kasjan Lyris’s fusion drive having won the battle to power the Deep Star vessels), Andrár’s lasers did sterling work propelling starwisp probes to nearby systems in preparation for the colonization efforts, and served as interstellar communication lasers during the days of the Thirteen Colonies. While the renaissance promised by the Laserider Network never came about, due to the discovery of a workable FTL system, the Andrár Beam Station continues to power starwisps on their way through the Thirteen Colonies, and supply various other initiatives in the home system, such as comet melting and zone refining, that need all the laser.
(Computation of exactly how much energy you can extract from the sunlight falling on half the surface of a world 0.06 au from a K2V, plus the above temperature difference, is left as an exercise for the calculation-loving reader. For everyone else, trust me, it’s a fuckjoule.)
Points to consider:
1. the closeness to the parent star will mean a substantial angular diameter, meaning that a 1:1 tidally locked planet will have a fairly broad partially lit “twilight zone”.
2. Given high enough efficiency solar cells, direct power conversion reduces thermal production ala’ Kelvin/Rankin to a minor secondary power source; possibly devoted solely to pushing coolant flow and other minor power requirements of the system.
3. With regards to #2, cooling would be used primarily to allow collectors to harvest long-wave infrared radiation they would otherwise be in equilibrium with.
Given the 86% thermodynamic efficiency limit on photoelectric conversion, that remaining 14% is still a fuckjoule of energy on its own.
Hold up, how do you stuff 18 planets into a binary star system stably?
It’s not a close binary. Look at the first post.
I have, but the closest approach between the 2 stars is listed as 125 AU (I’m assuming our AUs). At that distance surely cumulative perturbations from each star would throw each others’ planetary systems out of whack over millions of years?
Unless of course the Precursors engineered the entire system so recently that it hasn’t fallen apart yet…
My back-of-the-envelope tidal forces calcs suggest that it should be long-term stable; granted, I’m not an expert.